Wednesday, November 9, 2011

My Fruit Twists



I first discovered a wonderful "Apple Twist" when I was in Boston in August! It was "LOVE at first site"... As soon as I got home I knew I had to create my own version. So far, I have made these with Apple, Peach, Cherry and Raspberry pie filling. Oh My Goodness........these are so yummy and so easy to make. I like to serve them with a scoop of vanilla ice cream to the side!

Already made pie dough in the refrigerated section at the market? Sign me up!!


These Pillsbury crusts come two to a box and run about $3.79.

I buy the canned pie filling at the market and the cans are about the 21oz. size. One can will make two twists. So only scoop half into one crust and lay in down the center. It depends what the filling is as far as what I add extra to it. For the apple I added cinnamon, raisins and slivered almonds. YUM...........The peach I added cinnamon and you could add raisins too. You get the idea.... be creative.







You definitely want them to be somewhat close to each other. Roll them up like little burritos folding the ends up with some pressure and place them in a Pam sprayed baking dish.


At this point you will need to brush them with an egg bath and then sprinkle with cinnamon. I also put some cute venting slices in them. One down the middle (about an inch) and then two at the top on each side and towards the bottom (these are only about 1/2 inch in length).






AND THIS IS YOUR SECRET WEAPON!



Everyone will love the sparkling sugar effect, so puts lots of the sprinkles on. Let me say that the sprinkles are hard to find. I have had my best luck at Walmart and they are on the baking isle with the cake decorating items.



I then bake them in a 400 degree oven on the middle shelf until done. It usually takes about 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Please remember the pie filling is already cooked so you are just baking the pie dough. Take them out and check them if you are not sure, as you can then tell if the dough is cooked.

No comments: