Monday, November 14, 2011

Lois's Baked Potato Soup



This is Kathy, my dearest friend in the world! We have been friends since 5th grade when I moved two farms down from her! Farm world...........wow that brings back some of the most wonderful and heart warming memories ever. I can still see myself riding my bike down the road, barbie dolls in tow in the cute little basket on the front headed to Kathy's for a day of play.

I can't tell you the amount of memories, laughter, tears and "partners in crime capers" we have shared throughout the years! But I can tell you this..........when we still talk today we are crying with laughter on the phone! Thank goodness for my wonderful friend whom I love and adore!




This is Kathy's mama's recipe. Her mom Lois was like a second mother to me, as I spent so much time at her house. One of my most favorite memories of her is during "tornado time" in Iowa when we all ran to the basement and we looked down at Lois's feet and she had on two different shoes! Have you ever played the game Sorry? Lois loved that game and she loved to cheat!................Yep, still laughing today.


Lois's Baked Potato Soup

2/3 cup margarine
7 cups milk
4 green onions, chopped
1 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp black pepper
1 cube of chicken bouillon
2/3 cup flour
4 large baked potatoes (yes bake them first!!)
12 strips of crisply fried bacon
1 tsp salt
2 stalks celery, chopped

Melt butter and saute onion and celery until tender. Stir in flour until a smooth paste. Gradually add milk stirring constantly. Once thickened, add diced potatoes. Bring to a slow, low boil....stirring constantly! Do not let it come to a hard boil or it will curdle!! Must be patient and let it warm gradually. Add bouillon to mixture. Keep on low heat, let it simmer for about 10 minutes. Add crumbled bacon, sour cream, salt, pepper and cheese. Stir until cheese is melted. Love this soup!! It is one that requires patience in preparation so you don't overcook it.....

No comments: