Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Fairmont Hotel



What a treat to enter the Fairmont! This is one of the most amazing hotels I have ever been in! Mom and I had the best time going in and just wandering around. The guests were amazing too.... women in the most beautiful hats I have ever seen. I will just bet some of these hats were designed by "Jax o Hatz"! This hotel is definitely for the rich and not necessarily the famous! For a small moment in time....well you know!




The Fairmont San Francisco is a luxury hotel at 950 Mason Street, atop Nob Hill in San Francisco, California. The hotel was named after mining magnate and U.S. senator James Graham Fair (1831-1894), by his daughters Theresa Fair Oelrichs and Virginia Fair Vanderbilt who built the hotel in his honour. The hotel is the original in the portfolio of the Fairmont Hotels and Resorts and has been featured in many films, including Petulia and The Rock. Exterior images of the structure were used as stand-ins for the fictional St. Gregory Hotel in the 1983 television series, Hotel.







The hotel was nearly completed before the San Francisco earthquake of 1906. Although the structure survived, the interior was heavily damaged by fire, and opening was delayed until 1907. Architect and engineer Julia Morgan was hired to repair the building because her then-innovative use of reinforced concrete produced buildings that could withstand earthquakes and other disasters.





Just for fun I just checked the availability for tonite, 3/24 and the rate is $209! That is affordable for sure..... Guess I will just need a hat to fit in... We chose to stay at Fisherman's Wharf this trip and it was very convenient for us........we walked everywhere.



Yeah.....I know this photo is fuzzy, but what the heck, you can still see the cool pillows.
(giggles)

1 comment:

janis said...

None of the photos are awful, they are all awesome! You have so much fun! I swear Brooke, IF Hubby and I move out west in 2 years (the plan is Nevada {outside Vegas in Henderson maybe})Im gonna make you meet up with me and have you take me sight-seeing :)
My friends just got home from Utah. I was so jealous :) I haven't been in 24 years! Honeymooned in Park City♥