Monday, August 23, 2010

My Noisy New Visitor!

This cute little female woodpecker was sure making alot of noise the other morning.
Of course as soon as I knew what it was I grabbed the camera and hurried quietly and slowly out the door. I always hope that I am able to get some good photos before they realize I am there.

This little gal didn't even seem to care that I was there. She gave me a little "Good Morning" nod and then went about her business. I did find it interesting that she was at the bottom of this tree and then just slowly she made her way up to the top and in a circular fashion.



Looking in my Peterson Field Guide of Western Birds this morning I find that she is a Three-Toed Woodpecker or Picoides tridactylus. The reason I know she is the female is because the male version have a yellow cap. This species is mostly distinguished by the irregular white patch on the back.

No comments: