Wednesday, August 25, 2010

La Luna


It's Big....It's Bright....It's Full
What is it?
It's the full moon for the month of August.
This full moon is actually the smallest full moon for the 2010 year. Even as a small child I was simply mesmerized by full moons. The first thing I do when I get the calendar is circle all the full moons for the coming year. Then I wait patiently like a little child would wait for Christmas morning. Whenever I am with the grandchildren and there is a full moon we are so excited to see "La Luna". I remember Layni being about three and I had started to get her to point and say "La Luna".......the full moon.
I waited for this beautiful moon to come up over the mountains last night and then set my alarm yesterday morning and then this morning for 5AM to get up and watch it move to the southwest until it disappeared beyond the West Rim mountain. I hope you didn't miss this showing and I would like to think that wishing on a full moon brings wonderful blessings.
So.........as we enjoy a bit of Autumn air making it's way down the base of the Rockies and spilling into Texas you might take a moment to get up early and witness this event.
This August full moon is known as the Sturgeon Moon or the Green Corn Moon. I think I remember Pocahontas singing about the Green Corn Moon in the Disney Animated film.

No comments: