Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Pattypan Squash


Yesterday while visiting Frei's Market I stumbled upon these cute little "flying saucer" shaped foods. I had to call someone over to ask what they were. I could almost swear I have never seen these before. Either my memory is really slipping or I am going to have to browse the produce department with both eyes open. Seriously, I really don't remember these. When I was a kid we had a large garden but never grew anything like this.
Pattypan squash is a summer squash and it resembles a small toy top or a flying saucer. Pattypan comes in yellow, green and white varities. I asked how to prepare it and she said the same as zucchini squash. A couple of times a week I saute up some purple onion, green and yellow zucchini, fresh mushrooms, and add a small amount of bacon bits for flavoring- in extra virgin olive oil. It is delicious. So now I will slice up my pattypan and add this to the mixture. I will let you know how it goes.
And besides......I just love saying............Pattypan, Pattypan, Pattypan

No comments: