Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Why the Easter Egg?

Eggs and chicks symbolize new life. Eggs have been a symbol of spring since ancient times.


An egg also is a symbol of the rock tomb out of which Christ emerged when he arose again. The chick, hatching out of the egg symbolizes life or re-birth.



Originally Easter eggs were painted with bright colors to represent the sunlight of spring and were used in Easter-egg rolling contests or given as gifts to children and servants.



I love these eggs. I would consider these "ART".........................



It was during Easter that the consumption of eggs resumed after the strict Lenten fast. Eggs were thus a main stay of Easter meals, and this is probably one of the reasons why eggs came to be associated with Easter.




So much fun..... I use to love coloring eggs when the girls were little.







I forgot to post this photo on the Easter Bunny one........but I love it!



No comments: