Founded in 1852, Shreve & Co. was the among the first jeweler of California. Four years after the Gold Rush, George Coates Shreve and his nephew Samuel Shreve traveled from New York to California to open this family-owned shop that featured fancy European goods and California-crafted jewelry. Silver was plentiful, and the Shreves began creating trendsetting "must-haves" from high quality silver. By the late nineteenth century, the quiet elegance of the store, the attention to detail in craftsmanship and the commitment to service made Shreve & Co. the jewelry store for the Bay Area’s most affluent clientele. In March of 1906, the company relocated to a new earthquake-proof building at the corner of San Francisco’s Post and Grant streets.
We LOVED walking by here every morning and night! These windows were amazing and of course at the end of the day all of the jewelry was vaulted!